Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction
Over the first 2 weeks after surgery you will feel quite tired and ‘run down’. Your nose will feel very congested as if you have a cold or flu. To maximise recovery:
- Avoid bending, lifting, or vigorous activity for 2 weeks;
- No work, exercise or sport for 10 days (you may do some gentle walking);
- You may shower or bath but this should be at a mild temperature and not too hot; and
- Refrain from blowing your nose or sneezing if possible for 2 weeks. If you need to sneeze, then do so through an open mouth.
Try to keep your head up as much as possible. Keep head elevated when resting, and sleep with 2 pillows. Avoid stooping over.
It is normal to have nasal ooze for the first 24 hours, which will reduce by half each day. Minor bleeding is expected for 3-4 days post-op.
There are no dietary restrictions and you may eat as soon as food is tolerated.
The maximum discomfort will occur the first couple of days after surgery. You may experience some headaches. Please take the pain medication as prescribed.
Minor bruising and swelling is to be expected around the eyes and face, which may be more apparent in the mornings.
When to call the Doctor
Please call if you experience:
- Any extreme swelling or bruising that is not settling;
- Persistent pain not relieved by the pain medication;
- Elevated temperature over 38°C; and
- Bleeding that has not subsided after 20 minutes of applying gentle pressure to side of nose while sitting in an upright position with head bent forward (Oozing can be expected).
- Saline nasal rinse (Flo or Sinus rinse):
Please rinse your nose with the bottle prescribed (over a sink) 4 times a day. Continue for 1 month. Refill sachets (x50 or 100) can be purchased from your local pharmacy.
- Endone (Oxycodone):
This is a pain relief medication. Please take as prescribed. While taking Oxycodone it is important to realise that you should not drive or operate heavy machinery. This medication can cause drowsiness and constipation
Please take as directed, plus the repeat if prescribed.
- Avoid Aspirin and Nurofen as they increase the risk of bleeding.
Follow Up Appointment
Please make an appointment 2 weeks after surgery unless advised otherwise.
Nasal splints and dressings (if used in your surgery) will be removed at this visit.
How to contact Dr Morrissey
For non-emergency issues please call (07) 4632 3179 for further instructions.
Dr Morrissey shares ‘on-call’ arrangements with other ENT surgeons and one is usually available to answer questions.
Should your concerns not be addressed via a phone call please present to your nearest Emergency Department.
In the event of an Emergency call 000 or attend the nearest Emergency Department.